This month included a sold out show at the Lost Church in San Francisco, a heat wave, and a show at the storied Freight & Salvage in Berkeley with a hell of a line up including Blame Sally, Laurie Lewis and Tom Rozum, and the T Sisters! Thanks for being there.
"The Beautiful Game" video (above) was filmed at the Lost Church. Here's the story that inspired the song:
"The Beautiful Game"
Those who've known me for a long time have been saying, "Jenner when are going to write a soccer song?" My world revolved around the game for a long time. At last, here it is!
"The Beautiful Game" is the story of Martin, the captain of my men's league soccer team in Austin, TX, the Celtic Cowboys. Comprised mostly of 1st generation Irish and English lads the Cowboys didn't hold back at the bars or in their colorful rants to the referees.
Adult league sports tend to be a balance of try-hards and only-play-hungover types. Our captain seemed to land on the "my life is soccer" end of the spectrum. Each week he'd compose a lengthy post game match report email in which he congratulated a man-of-the-match, summed up the game play by play, and talked about the importance of showing up to practice to achieve our dreams.
As I learned more about him, I found a life that revolved around soccer, and I was inspired by someone who could dedicate his life to the game when he wasn't an exceptional player.
AND in spite of their often absent on tour center midfielder, the Cowboys won the league title this spring, making Martin a great and victorious captain.
I hope you enjoy the song.
ps. I'm on the calendar at OTR studios to record a full length solo album in August! Special thanks to Richard and the 100 folks at my Palo Alto house concert, and Lorenzo, Terry, and the solstice celebrators in Truckee. The money we raised will go straight into the album and maybe a couple of burritos along the way.
Jenner Fox Shows in July
July 1 - House Concert - Bend, OR (reply for details)
July 2 - Cup & Bar - Portland, OR, 7pm
July 4 - House Concert - Seattle, WA (reply for details)
July 13-23 - Bear Camp Chilko River combo - BC, Canada - click for details!
Fox Recommends (The Book Edition)
A couple of favorites...
- The Little Prince by Antoine Saint Exupery - grownups are not like us, grownups are serious.
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck - too big to explain here, read it.
- Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut - a favorite by a favorite author. I used a quote from this book in my tinder profile. Clearly it's not working, but thanks anyway Kurt. The quote, "I wonder about turtles. ... When they pull in their heads, do their spines buckle or contract?"
- Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins - how to live forever.
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - "there's only one kind of folks, folks."
- The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten - the title says it all, a formative book for me.
- The Complete Rhyming Dictionary by Clement Wood and Ronald Bogus - See June poem below. Also Ronald Bogus wrote it.
PS. "See through the acts of people trying to make you think they're wonderful to see they're really wonderful." - Timothy Gallwey
...signing off with an ode to June
Your sun burned and set so soon
High water and a new moon
Thanks to those who rose and filled the rooms
Sang along to a familiar tune
My heart is a firm balloon
An ice cream filled spoon